So, you’ve been invited to your best friend’s wedding, and now you’re faced with the task of trying to find something to wear. Attending a wedding as a guest is somewhat tricky. You don’t necessarily want to wear a formal black suit, but at the same time you shouldn’t wear jeans and a t-shirt. There’s a simple solution to this predicament, however: a morning suit.
What is a Morning Suit?
If this is your first time hearing about morning suits, let me give you a brief explanation. Basically, a morning suit is a type of daytime formal dress code that typically consists of a morning coat (hence the name), a waistcoat, a button-up dress shirt, matching trousers, and either a necktie or bowtie. The combination of these elements creates a stunning and sophisticated appearance that’s sure to turn heads. And best of all, it’s the perfect choice for wedding attire due to its mild formality.
Another distinguishable characteristic of the morning suit is its color. While there are always exceptions to this rule, most morning suits feature grey-colored coats, waistcoats and trousers. More specifically, they feature a “morning grey” color, which of course is less formal than black. So if you’re struggling to find a balanced outfit that’s not too dressy but not too casual, consider a morning suit.
Tips on Wearing a Morning Suit:
- Pay close attention to the color, as this will play a pivotal role in the appearance of a morning suit. Ideally, you should stick with a grey or off-grey color with your morning suit.
- Consider your necktie and how it impacts the rest of your morning suit. If your shirt is light blue, for instance, an excellent choice is a dark blue necktie. The dark on light creates a contrasting look while drawing attention to your tie.
- Don’t forget the footwear. As with all suits and formal-to-mid-formal wear, you should choose shoes that flow cohesively with the rest of your outfit. A good choice for morning suits is a pair of black or brown leather oxfords.
- Have your morning suit pressed and/or professionally dry cleaned before wearing it. In addition to cleaning stains, this will eliminate wrinkles.
- Remember, your dress socks should be the same color as your trousers, which in the case of a morning suit is grey.
- Choose waistcoat that’s properly fitted according to your body size. It shouldn’t so tight that you cannot raise your arms to your side, but it also shouldn’t be loose and baggy.