If you’re in the market for a new men’s suit, you should pay close attention to the fabric from which it is made. While color, design and style are all important things to consider when choosing a new suit, fabric is arguably the single most important element. It affects both the aesthetics and function of the suit, making it a vital component. Choosing a suit made from a poor, low-quality fabric will ultimately restrict its utility, whereas a suit made from a high-quality fabric will allow you to wear it anywhere, anytime.
But with so many different types of men’s suits, how do you know which to choose? Well, you really can’t go wrong with a cotton suit. Featuring the same lightweight, versatile cotton material that’s used in most t-shirts, it offers the perfect combination of style and comfort. Cotton suits can be worn at weddings, business meetings, social gatherings, formal parties and more. To learn more about cotton suits and why they are such a popular choice, keep reading. We’ll also explore some tips on how to choose the perfect men’s cotton suit.
Cotton: the Basics
Let’s first go over the basics of cotton and how it’s used in the production of suits, shirts and other garments. Cotton is essentially an all-natural fabric that comes from the seedpods of the cotton plant. It’s white, fluffy and lightweight — three immensely attractive characteristics that make it ideal for suits.
According to some estimates, cotton has been cultivated for more than 7,000 years. This isn’t a trend that’s likely to go away anytime soon, either. Even with advancements in modern technology and textiles, cotton remains one of the world’s most popular materials for use in suits and clothes. It can be knitted or woven into cloth fabrics, with the two most popular cotton weaves being the plain weave and the twill weave. The plain weave produces a fabric similar to gingham, whereas a twill weave produces a stronger and more durable fabric that’s often found in denim and khaki. Regardless, both types of cotton weave are highly versatile, making them an excellent choice for men’s suits.
Benefits of Cotton Suits
So, what makes cotton suits such an excellent choice? There are dozens of reasons to choose a cotton suit over suits made of other materials, one of which is the comfort. You probably own a 100% cotton shirt (or several), in which case you’re well aware of just how comfortable this fabric really is. Cotton is one of the softest, lightest textile fabrics on the planet. And it’s these characteristics that make it such an amazing choice for use in the construction of a men’s suit. The soft and light qualities of cotton are transferred to the suit.
Cotton suits can also be worn year-round. Whether it’s the spring, summer, fall or winter, you can’t go wrong with a high-quality cotton suit. It’s lightweight yet still offers enough protection from the elements to keep you warm and comfortable during the otherwise chilly winter months. You can even layer your cotton suit for added protection, although this is rarely needed unless you live in a particularly cold region.
Like all suits, cotton suits require at least some basic maintenance and care to preserve their original look and characteristics. When compared to other suits, however, cotton suits are relatively low maintenance, requiring very little on behalf of the owner/wearer. You can learn more about when and how to maintain your cotton suit by reading the care label. Generally speaking, though, you simply wash or dry clean it, and spot-treat stains promptly. Following these simple steps will prolong the life of your cotton suit, allowing you to get more bang for your buck.
And then there’s the vast array of styles in which cotton suits are made. Cotton suits are available in countless colors, styles and designs. So regardless of your personal fashion preference, chances are there’s a cotton suit out there with your name on it. The only question is whether or not you’ll take the time to find it.
Now that you know a little bit about the benefits of wearing a cotton men’s suit, let’s reveal some tips on how to find the right one.
Tips on Choosing a Cotton Men’s Suit:
- If you plan on wearing your cotton suit during the hot summer months, consider buying a cotton twill suit. Cotton twill is a lighter variety of cotton, making it ideal for hot weather. On the other hand, traditional cotton works for all weather.
- Some cotton suits contain added elastic fabrics to give them greater elasticity. Known as “stretch cotton” suits (for obvious reasons), they’ve become increasingly popular in recent years.
- Pay close attention to the number of buttons the cotton suit has. A good rule of thumb is to always the leave the bottom button unfastened on your suit jacket or coat, unless it only has a single button, in which case you can fasten it.
- Consider the color when choosing a cotton men’s suit. Khaki is a versatile color that can be worn for many different occasions, although cotton suits are available in many other colors as well.
- Choose a cotton suit that matches your personal style. I know this probably sounds like common sense, but it’s still worth mentioning that you should choose a cotton suit that flows cohesively with your own personal style.
- Don’t forget the accessories. The right accessories will further enhance the appearance of your cotton suit, creating a more attractive and cohesive look that ultimately improves your overall outfit.
- Make sure the cotton suit fits just right. Far too many men choose suits with oversized shoulders, creating an awkward and downright unflattering appearance that does them no justice. If you are struggling to find a cotton suit that fits just right, consider ordering one from our store here at StudioSuits. You can specify your own measurements during checkout, meaning your suit will be custom designed to fit your body.